Sunday, December 4, 2016

Book Review: Six of Crows (Duology) by Leigh Bardugo

I read these books back in October, but have not had the time, energy, or inspiration to sit down and write about them, despite how passionately I discussed them with my book club back at the beginning of November (a.k.a. I've been lazy, I know). These books (both Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom) are bestsellers and need little in terms of endorsement, so this is more just for me to get my thoughts out (again) about the set.

The two book fantasy series follows the lives of six main characters - Kaz, Inej, Jesper, Wylan, Nina, and Matthias - who all come from VERY different backgrounds. The chapters throughout the books alternate among the six characters in terms of perspective which provides a much more intriguing narrative style. These mixed perspectives reveal the many subplots that bring the characters together in an abundance of ways. After life-changing circumstances for each of them, most of them being near-death experiences in one way or another, they find themselves hired to work together in plotting and completing a heist within one of the most guarded kingdoms in their world. Each character has his or her own special talent that contributes to the overall success or failure of the operation. During and after the heist, there are many plot twists that drive the characters closer together, but also some that begin to drive them apart, and not all characters are always on board with the overall plan. These, along with many other obstacles, baddies, and unforeseen events cause more mayhem than the characters set out to pursue, despite their blatantly illegal actions throughout the story. They must work together to hone each other's abilities in order to escape with their lives, their loot, and also try to help each other work through the inner demons that possess each of us to some degree.

One of the hardest things for me at the beginning of this series was in learning the world. Bardugo cleverly incorporates elements of what feels like Russian, ancient Roman, Norwegian, Irish, African, and Gypsy inspiration into a unique 1800s, steampunk-esque world. Despite the allusions to each of these disparate cultures, Bardugo combines them in a new and cohesive way creating new languages, ethnicities, and a whole group of magical beings called Grisha which leave a reader with much to learn within the first few chapters of the first book. I was told that Bardugo's first series, The Grisha Triology, went much further into detail regarding explanations for this world and its supernatural beings. I was also told, however, that to read the original three books was not essential to understanding this duology. I quickly doubted this advice as I ventured into Six of Crows when I found myself lost in questions, but found that by chapter six I was immersed into the world fully and able to infer most of its essential components. I still wished for a glossary of terms (an index of sorts) to clarify, but felt sufficient without one at the same time. I was happy to see that Crooked Kingdom provided at least a glossary of names along with pronunciation which I appreciated; it helped to understand each of the different languages and cultures of Bardugo's creativity more fully. By the end of the series, I wouldn't say that I felt like an expert, but I definitely felt very comfortable in my knowledge of this fictional world.

While it is a highly debatable and purely subjective opinion, my favorite character of the series is Kaz Brekker. I have never, in all of my literary life, found an anti-hero that I so supported more fully throughout a series (not even Dexter). He is a ruthless, cruel, self-motivated, gang boss who goes to any measures necessary to ensure his own power, success, and authority. Typically these traits in a character (or a human being) are what cause me to find them vile and repulsive, but something about Kaz - even before revealing the tragedies of his past - caused me to find him much more lovable than I should have. I admired his merciless guile and badassery (for lack of more literary terms). Despite his lack of supernatural abilities in a world where he is surrounded by others with more mystical powers, his indefatigable wit combined with his determination and his ability to conjure a scheme at the expense of anyone but himself made him undeniably the most complex and interesting possible-protagonist I have ever encountered.

Another part of the story line of this duology that I greatly appreciated was the attention to social hot topics that Bardugo intersperses throughout her make-believe world. While the series is geared toward a young-adult audience, Bardugo tackles issues such as sexuality, prejudice, addiction, mental and physical abuse, visible and invisible disabilities, the effect of trauma on the mind, the adaptation and survival of the mind and body in the throes of hardships, and general humanity. Sometimes overt and sometimes more subtly, Bardugo manages to address these worldly issues in a manner that does not attempt to exploit them, nor provide impractical solutions in Utopian ideals, but rather just presents these issues for what they are: side effects of the human condition. 

One thing that didn't sit quite right with me about the series was the way the six main characters all seemed to pair up with one another into relationships by the end. As you'll know from having read almost any of my previous posts, I am about as far from optimistic as one can get on the spectrum of romanticism which caused these couplings to detract from the authenticity of the story for me. I know that, when left alone, human nature is to pair up rather than keep isolated and alone, and so I concede that it does make biological sense for the six characters to partner up in such a way, especially when they are outcast from society for periods of time in hiding. I didn't, however, like the way that these pairings made certain aspects of the story more predictable. As with any love story, each developing relationship had its turmoils and tragedies to overcome. There are complexities and nuances to each of these possible relationships that begin before the story commences, during the two-book plot, and even after the series ends, which added a certain level of depth to these prospective couples, but some of the mushier scenes felt like too much for me. 
*Side note for anyone who read Crooked Kingdom: the bandages scene, though? That one may have sparked what could have been the beginning of some feels. It's not like I'm COMPLETELY without a heart...I hope...

I read both of these books relatively quickly for my typical reading pace. Once I was into the world and invested in the plot and characters I couldn't put the book down. I would bring them to work with me hoping for even one small spare moment to get in a few more pages of the enthralling story; I HAD TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED NEXT! While I wasn't COMPLETELY satisfied by the end of the duology, my dissatisfaction in no way detracted from my overall high endorsement of these books. 

Whether you typically read fantasy or young adult or crime novels or none of the above - just give it a shot (through chapter 7 at least) and something tells me you won't regret it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment